- 7 Feb 23 - While the CA website software has been updated, all CCA bookings have been managed off line. Now that the TES has gone live for 2023, we have updated the system with all the bookings received so far and asked those who have booked to settle up the course fees due using the CA’s online system, which allows for credit card payments.
For new bookings, we have reverted to the normal system of asking those who wish to attend one of our courses to apply online via the CA website’s Fixtures Calendar (aka ’TES’). Course are already filling up so early action is recommended.
- 01 Jan 23: Good news to greet the New Year
- We are delighted Cliff Jones, one of the foremost coaches in the country,
has agreed to lead our ‘Introduction to Short Croquet Course’ on Tue, 23
May 23 at High Wycombe Croquet Club. Short Croquet is an exciting
game in itself, with its own tournaments, while also being a stepping-
stone for those wanting to learn Association Croquet.
Please note that, while there are places on this ‘Introduction to Short
Croquet Course’, even now some of our other courses are fully booked.
So, if you would like a place on any other course, it would be wise not to
While we wait for the Fixtures List to be opened for bookings, if you would
like a place on any of our courses please contact Ian Shore by email
- 23 Nov 22: Spring Programme 2023 published
- Following a very successful 2022 season, the Chiltern Academy Spring Programme for 2023 has been published containing over twenty courses across the AC/SC/GC codes and range of handicap levels. While the Chiltern Academy is based at High Wycombe Croquet Club, the number of venues for our courses has been extended, broadening the Academy’s geographic reach. Bookings can be made via the CA website’s Fixtures Calendar, once that opens for bookings early in the New Year.
- 8 Nov 22: New GC Referees
Seven new GC referees were qualified and so awarded their red GC Refereeing Badge following a course on 5/6 Nov 22, at High Wycombe, run by CCA’s manager (Ian Shore), supported by the Chair of the GC Rules Committee (Ian Cobbold) and The Director of Coaching, The Croquet Academy (Richard Carline).
- 16 Apr 2022: Examining Referee
We were pleased to learn that our Manager, Ian Shore, has been appointed as a GC Examining Referee by the GC Rules Committee. This means that he is now qualified to run GC Referee Training Courses, which we plan to include in our future programme.
- 16 Apr 2022: New AC and GC Referees
Arranging opportunities for players to become qualified referees is a high priority for our Academy. Encouragingly we had 6 candidates for a recent AC Referee Training/Qualification Course led by Jeff Dawson. Their qualifying exam will be next weekend so we await with bated breath the outcome.
On the weekend 2/3 Apr Ian Cobbold ran a GC Referee Training and Qualification Course, attended by 8 candidates (after one had to drop out for Covid reasons). This proved highly successful with 6 of the participants passing both the written exam and the on-lawn test. They have been awarded their Red GC Refereeing Badge.”
- 3 Feb 2022: The bookings system on the CA website has now gone live and places are filling up. We are looking forward to an exciting coaching season. We are particularly pleased to be able confirm that we will be offering a Becoming a Coach Course (CTC & CQC), led by Cliff Jones, on the weekend 5/6 Mar. There had also been one change of date: The planned Club-Level Tournament Management course, led by Chris Roberts, will now be held on 26 Mar (rather than 12 Feb). Hopefully this rescheduling with give greater opportunity for you to book a place!
- 4 Jan 2022: A Happy New Year to all. To reflect changes in the dates of some planned courses a revised programme for Spring 2022 has been published. These courses will be available to book direct via the CA’s Fixture Calendar when that opens for business on 1 Feb 22.
- 26 Nov: The 2021 coaching season has finished. During the year the Chiltern Academy ran 7 Zoom session attended by 65 participants, while 194 participants attended 12 face-to-face courses. Twenty six coaching / refereeing qualifications were awarded. The 2022 course schedule is soon to be finalised on the CA website and is shown on the appropriate page of this website.
- 10 Nov: Cliff Jones has stepped down from being the Chiltern Academy's Head Coach and thus his position on the Academy Management Board. The Chiltern Academy owes a great deal to him as he helped inspire the formation of this academy, encouraging us all to aim for the highest coaching standards. He also provided most helpful advice and guidance at the management level. During 2021 he played a key role in the successful delivery of our first full year’s coaching programme, resulting in a lasting legacy. The good news is that he will continue to run a number of courses for the Chiltern Academy in the coming year.
- 10/11 Jul: A CTC /CQC Course, to prepare / upgrade coaches was run successfully at Phyllis Court Cub. All seven participants who completed the course achieved the coaching goals.
- 25 Jun 21: Additional course added Mon 5 Jul Introduction to Competitive Play II - a follow-on course from that on 17 Jun but prior attendance on that course is not essential.
- 19 Jun 21: Academy Course schedule updated to include a CTC/CQC Course at Phyllis Court Club on 10/11 Jul click here.
- 17 Jun 21: A successful GC Introduction to Competitions Course for 16 participants was held at HWCC delivered by our Lead Coach Cliff Jones. A follow up course has been requested.
- 7 Mar 21: Academy’s rescheduled courses in October published: click here
- 25 Feb: For all Coronavirus related updates, please click here
- 30 Jan: The CA have opened our Zoom courses for booking via the CA website, as an exception. Other courses and tournaments remain closed for booking.
- 30 Jan: Given the high demand for our Zoom courses, additional courses have been laid on - the latest list is published on the 2021 Programme page and on the CA website
- As a result of the CA’s announcement on 27 Jan 21 that the Fixtures List will not open for bookings at all in Feb, the two Zoom courses (16 Feb and 2 Mar) will be managed off line. Both courses are now fully booked.
- The formation of the Chiltern Croquet Academy was formally ratified the Croquet Association's Executive Board
on 16 Jan 2021. This has opened the door to the publication of the Academy’s 2021 Course Programme on the CA website.
- As a result of the Government coronavirus constraints, the Academy’s Tue, 16 Feb course for the AC Laws Update Afternoon Seminar will now be conducted on Zoom.
- For the same reason, the Tue, 2 Mar GC Practical Rules for Players Afternoon Course will also be conducted over Zoom.
- Regrettably the nature of the Tournament Management Course planned for 23 Feb militates against it being presented over Zoom. A new date will be found for this course when the Covid picture is clearer.